[PLUG] Why lpr Works ... or Doesn't

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Sep 19 16:42:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, wes wrote:
>
> > try with a plain text file?
>
> wes,
>
>   Enscript worked. What does this tell me about lpr?
>
> Good call,
>
> Rich

This kind of suggests to me a driver issue in CUPS. Enscript converts the
file before sending it. CUPS tries to determine how much server-side
processing is necessary before sending data to the printer to do the
printer-side processing. I'm only guessing here... it seems as though CUPS
thinks the job requires less processing (converting) than it really does. So
it's sending data to the printer that it can't process itself, which your
other printer can. I'm not sure what exactly to suggest in fixing it, hoping
someone else jumps in here. Possibly try a few different drivers for your
color LJ, or define it as a generic.

-wes