[PLUG] Printing envelopes with postage - Linux apps?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Sep 19 18:54:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:55:45 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> dijo:

>If this is a monthly mailing to some patients, the Linux
>script may also add the postal bar coding, and print out
>a heap of envelopes and accompanying letters, ZIP5 sorted.

The last time I checked with the post office was several years ago. At
that time all mail was scanned and, if the sender had added a barcode
with their computer, the barcode was ignored and the post office added
their own. The mail did not go any faster because the sender had added
a barcode.

The exception was mailings of 500 or more delivered to the
bulk mail unit or to the loading dock. They spot check a few barcodes
to make sure you did it right, and if you have a first class permit,
you are entitled to a postage discount.

I would suggest checking with them for current information on the
above issues. I am probably pretty far out of date.