[PLUG] Resolved: config error message interpretation help, please

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 18:09:22 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 10:31 AM, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 09:53, Richard C. Steffens<rsteff at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> No package 'glib-2.0' found
>> No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
>> No package 'libsoup-2.4' found
>> No package 'gconf-2.0' found
> as rogan suggested, this frequently means you are missing -dev
> versions of packages.
>
> i never use synaptic so i cannot help you there, but here's what i'd
> do from the command line:
>
> # (1) you probably have glib2 installed already.  so, search the
> installed packages for anything with the string 'glib' in their name:
> dpkg -l | grep glib
>
> you'll find a lot, but you're looking for the one that is glib, not
> something for or involving glib, if that makes any sense.  on my
> system, it's:
>
> ii  libglib2.0-0                         2.28.6-0ubuntu1
>               The GLib library of C routines
>
> and what you want is to find the dev version:
>
> # (2) search all available packages for ones whose names contain
> glib2, and then try to filter down to just -dev packages
>
> apt-cache search glib2 | grep -- -dev
>
> i get 3 hits, but the obvious winner is:
>
> libglib2.0-dev - Development files for the GLib library
>
> # (3) install the development package:
>
> sudo aptitude install libglib2.0-dev
>

> you may not have some of those packages installed - say you are
> missing libsoup (you try step (1) with soup instead of glib2 and come
> up empty).  then skip straight to (2):
>
> apt-cache search soup | grep -- -dev

> libsoup2.4-dev - an HTTP library implementation in C -- Development files
>
> and then executing 3 will automatically pull in the base package for
> you - if it's needed to use the dev package, which is usually the
> case:
>
> sudo aptitude install libsoup2.4-dev
>

> hope that helps!

Yes. That did help. I installed the -dev versions for all four missing
packages:

sudo aptitude install libglib2.0-dev
sudo aptitude install libgtk-2.0-dev
sudo aptitude install libsoup2.4-dev
sudo aptitude install libgconf2-dev

./configure now works.

make gives me a bunch of errors, but that will have to wait for another
day. Work calls.

Thanks for the help.

And thanks to Rogan and Benjamin for your ideas, too.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens