[PLUG] Rxvt/Urxvt

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:18:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 13:48, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   Is anyone here familiar with urxvt (rxvt-unicode)specifically?

yup, i use it exclusively.

I just
> added that package to my system in hope of resolving the problem of accents
> not displaying in virtual terminals and alpine, and seeing X in spaces in
> some received messages to which I compose a reply.

i can't remember the path that led me to it, but it was a variety of
display issues with international text vs gnu screen as i recall.
anyway, it did solve those problems and bring new ones :/.  still
overall it is an upgrade for me.

>   I've read the man pages but am not sure just what options to specify (and
> I think they all go in ~/.Xdefaults) to return the console font to
> legibility and return the color of directory names back to yellow (as set in
> /etc/DIR_COLORS) from the blue to which urxvt changed it.

i specify almost all my options in .Xdefaults.  i set a few via the
command line, but they're the same as xterm command line
flags--nothing about the font or colors on the command line.

>   There is no 'showfont' command here so I don't have any idea what console
> fonts are available to me. I use 10x20 which was quite clear and readable
> with rxvt windows but is larger and much less clear in the urxvt
> windows.

hmm.  my font looked the same in rxvt/urxvt, although urxvt has an
annoying propensity for bolding it at times--this fortunately stopped
being a problem at some point (now works fine under screen, whereas it
used to kind of trash my display under termcap-heavy apps like
screen/vim/centerim).  you might look for a font that has no bold, or
to somehow set the bold font to the normal font to work around that
tendency if that happens to be the problem you are experiencing.

to actually answer one of your questions, i explicitly change some of
the colors (dark blue is not visible against my preferred black
background) in my .Xdefaults like so:

*Rxvt.colorUL:          Cyan3
*Rxvt.color4:           RoyalBlue
*Rxvt.color12:          RoyalBlue

(affects Rxvt as well as uRxvt.  URxvt* appears to be the appropriate
Xdefaults class if you just want to affect uRxvt).

wish i could recall where i got the font color lists--might have been
in the well-hidden urxvt(7) man page--this is not the same as the
urxvt(1) man page.  you might check it out for more info (man 7 urxvt)

let me know how it goes!