[PLUG] What is changing with Linux 3.0.4?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Sep 27 17:02:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> The Linux 3.0.4 kernel is the current kernel.  What is changing from
> the long running 2.6 series which has gotten up around 2.6.40 or so?

The 3.0.x series is just an incremental upgrade from 2.6.x. Linus
wrote:

---- START QUOTE ----
So what are the big changes?

NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two thirds driver
changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0 is
*just* about renumbering, we are very much *not* doing a KDE-4 or a
Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at
all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for many years
now, this is in no way about features. If you want an excuse for the
renumbering, you really should look at the time-based one ("20 years")
instead.

So no ABI changes, no API changes, no magical new features - just
steady plodding progress.
---- END QUOTE ----

See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1147415.

> CentOS 6 unfortunately is down at the 2.6.34 kernel level.  I'm
> curious if there are stability and/or other end of life issues for
> the 2.6 kernel?

Red Hat regularly backports security updates and other key
enhancements from the current kernel into its production kernel. I
imagine that process won't change at all with the renumbering.

> Is it true that you have to have a gigabyte or more of ram now to
> install CentOS 6?  Huh, my old servers don't have that.

You need to have that much for the graphical installer to run. You can
still run the text installer with less than 1 GB, but you won't get
access to as many install-time options.

If you have a serious need to run CentOS 6 on a machine with less that
a gigabyte of RAM, I suggest you learn how to configure and use
the Red Hat/CentOS kickstart installation tools; that's the only route
to a fully configurable installation on low-memory machines.

PS: Ignoring you isn't censorship. Claiming it is completely and
utterly devalues the experience of people who have actually been the
victim of censors: those who have lost their livelihood, been cast
into prison, or dragged to interminable legal proceedings. Your right
to free speech does not now and never will mean that anyone has to
listen to you.