[PLUG] VOIP phones for Asterisk

Patrick J. Timlick p.j.timlick at ieee.org
Wed Sep 28 20:14:26 UTC 2011

I tried to connect an analog line to asterisk, with a linksys  little box
and then a relatively expensive PCI card but I had terrible echo on my line
which caused me to give up.

I would try one analog line before committing to that route.  I can loan you
the PCI card to try.

Commodity VOIP numbers are dirt cheap compared to PSTN.  Running mine over a
ADSL line is usually as good quality as an analog line, although there are
occasional glitches.  There are those that believe you need a better
internet connection to run reliable VOIP.

I now use http://pbxinaflash.net/ to configure asterisk. It has a graphical
status screen that your boss might like.

I have a CISCO phone which is great.  I also have a real cheap ebay special
voip phone that is not great.