[PLUG] Understanding Networking Components

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Mon Apr 2 17:17:17 UTC 2012

On Apr 1, 2012, at 1:03 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    As before, cannot ping any address on the local Class A network (nor any
> world-addressible domain name or IP address). Trying to ping the gateway
> (10.5.70.1) results in 'Destination unreachable'; trying the namesever
> (8.8.8.8) results in 'Destination not reachable'.

This is probably normal, as the network is probably configured to not allow you to connect to anything until you accept the Terms and Conditions agreement. This would include other IPs on the local network, except for the server that provides the T&C.

Have you verified with another patron as to what their DNS servers are set to? If you've answered this previously, I've missed the answer.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net