[PLUG] Understanding Networking Components

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Mon Apr 2 17:40:36 UTC 2012

On Apr 2, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   No one else with a computer when I'm there. And, I suspect they'd look
> completely puzzled because they have no idea what 'DNS server' means. :-)

Well, I also noticed in a message post what I replied to that you plan on taking both the working Dell and the non-working Sony to compare. That should facilitate finding the answer to that question.

I just find it highly irregular that they would specify a DNS server that is external to the network, and then give a domain name that would require a call to that DNS server, before you are allowed to pass traffic through the gateway. These networks have to have their own DNS server, or at least a proxy DNS server to redirect traffic until you've accepted the T&C. Otherwise, the whole security model breaks down.

And yes, I use the term "security model" very loosely.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net