[PLUG] Understanding Networking Components

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Apr 2 20:31:41 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> writes:

Mike> I'm curious if Russell Senior or anyone else involved with
Mike> Personal Telco wifi ap setup can weigh in on how the the captive
Mike> portal works for their WAPs and if a local DNS call is made or
Mike> not.

We don't even know for sure that the cafe Rich is going to has a
captive portal.  They are fairly unusual in coffee shop scenarios
these days, since small operations mostly just buy an AP and plug it
in.  I understand that FreeGeek is using NoCatAuth (as we do), but I
have no idea about Rich's random coffee shop.

I'm still leaning towards the PEBKAC theory, or some custom
"foot-ventilation", but without objective diagnostics, it is
impossible to say.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net