[PLUG] Understanding Networking Components [SOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 3 20:33:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, Mike Connors wrote:

> I cannot get my eth0 to go in / out of the "running" state by running ifup
> / ifdown, although it works with the loopback interface.

   On Slackware, using 'ifconfig eth0 up|down' I can.

> Also, two default routes on the same network and I have no problems.

   Same here with all hosts other than this one Sony Vaio.

> So if the only difference between your two laptops in terms of wireless, is
> the radio and more importantly the driver. Which you had problems with
> previously. I'm inclined to believe that driver is not functioning the way
> it should be.
>
> It shouldn't be in a "running" state unless there is physical connectivity
> and packets are flowing across the interface.

   The eth0 interface is not RUNNING, but the routes are there and so is the
constipation.

> As for the script idea, why not just remove the "allow-hotplug eth0"
> statement from your /etc/network/interfaces file

   'Cause Slackware doesn't have that file. We have /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
where the ethernet and wireless interfaces are configured (but the latter
isn't in any case).

   May well be a still-immature driver since this version of the wireless
chip came out only last November.

   I need a script to keep things simple for the user. And, I have such a
script using 'ip' which I did not know existed before.

Thanks,