[PLUG] Using QEMU-KVM to Host Another OS

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Apr 4 16:17:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   The kvm-intel module is loaded and qemu-kvm is installed. Please
> point me to information on where/how to load a guest OS from a
> distribution DVD and how to set up qemu so it loads that quest OS
> when invoked.

As others have mentioned, the libvirt stuff is a great place to start.
I've never installed Windows into KVM from an optical drive, but I
have installed it from an ISO of the Windows DVD (produced by using
dd). Here's a script that uses the virt-install tool:

virt-install \
   --name="winguest" --ram="1024" --vcpus="1" \
   --os-type="windows" --os-variant="winxp" \
   --disk="path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/winguest.img,size=20" \
   --cdrom="/usr/local/src/winxp-sp2.iso" \
   --vnc --hvm --accelerate

The virt-manager tool also has some facilities for installing VMs, but
I've always used virt-install.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com