[PLUG] Testing a surge protector -- was Finding and mounting a second SATA drive

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 17:13:58 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 09:19 AM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 09:12 AM, wes wrote:
>> I would start by looking in the BIOS of your machine - the drive should
>> appear there. if not, it may be disabled or have some other issue.
> It's been so long since I've had to mess with hardware that I forgot
> about looking for the drive in the BIOS. I'll save this in my collection
> of hardware issues e-mails so I can refer to it the next time.

Alas, it turns out something on her mother board fried the hard drive.
So I still wouldn't have seen the drive in the BIOS. The tech at Pacific
Solutions speculated that it could have been a power surge. She does
have a battery backup/surge protector. So if there was a surge it was
supposed to stop it.

How does one test or examine a surge protector to see if it failed?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens