[PLUG] Finding and mounting a second SATA drive

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 19:47:29 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 10:27 AM, Russell Johnson wrote:
> I've always had good luck with 'dmesg | grep [hs]d'. There's some noise to filter through, but that should display any drives attached to a sata, pata or scsi bus.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll file them away for future reference. As I
mentioned, the problem was a bad drive. While we don't have perfect
backups for her machine, we do have backups. I'll try to get her to do
hers more frequently.

I was using her machine for backing up my stuff. I now have a 160 Gb
drive in my USB drive box where I have put the important stuff this
morning. I'll continue to give her a place on my machine to put her
backups, and make copies of that stuff on the USB drive when I do mine.
I usually leave it powered off and disconnected, thus relying a very
large air gap surge protector.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens