[PLUG] Controling Network Interfaces

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:34:44 UTC 2012

>   Still don't have the Sony Vaio working with wireless hot spots, but know
> why and would like your ideas on how to remedy the problem.
>
>   When I invoke wicd on my Dell Latitude and it connects to the WAP eth0 is
> brought down ('ifconfig eth0 down' in Slackware) so the only network
> interface in the kernel routing table is wlan0.
>
>   When I invoke wicd on the Sony Vaio and it connects to the WAP eth0
> remains UP. It's not RUNNING, but it shows a gateway in the kernel routing
> table that is preferred to the gateway on the wlan0 interface.
>
>   The Sony Vaio has ifplugd installed. This brings up and takes down eth0
> when the ethernet cable is inserted and removed, but it does not prevent
> eth0 from appearing in the routing table when wlan0 is RUNNING.
>

> Given this (and any other information you'd like me to provide), what
> might prevent removal of eth0 from the routing table when wlan0 is
> connected
> to a WAP?
>
> Rich

Rich - Based on the information you've provided and the testing I've done
on my Lenovo Laptop running Debian Sid, I suspect there is a problem in the
interaction between the NIC driver and your chosen net mgmt. software. Is
WICD a native app to slackware? If not, is there a native net mgmt. app? If
there's not a native net mgmt app is there another net mgmt app you can do
some testing with? Or perhaps just uninstall WICD and then test
connectivity to a WAP via command line?

Even though we know what's happening, we don't know the root cause as to
why it's happening. Do you have a static ip config for eth0 on your Dell?
Have you tried removing the static ip config for eth0 on the Sony and test
WAP connectivity?

The bottom line here is that a statically configured eth0 that is not
connected and not in a running state should not be the preferred default
gateway. Something is hosing up the logic there.