[PLUG] Controling Network Interfaces

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 11 00:22:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Mike Connors wrote:

> That's not what I meant. I should have written "have you deleted the
> static ip config stanza from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf file and then tested
> net connectivity over wifi.?"

   No. The eth0 interface needs to come down when wlan0 is up, even if eth0
is not running. eth0 is needed on the lan.

> Also, as Slackware will start up the interfaces in the order they are found
> in that file, have you tried listing wla0 first? Maybe if wlan0 starts up
> first, it's def gwy would get preference. The other thing you could do is
> not define the def gwy for eth0 or have a rc.inet1.bak with the eth0 static
> ip config. When you connect to an eth lan, just copy that file over
> inet1.conf.

   If this was true why would the Dell work just fine without rearranging
rc.inet1.conf?

> Of  course these are just band-aids to get you working over wifi assuming
> the Dell is similarly configured. All things being the same in this
> equation, same distro rev, WICD and static ip config, the only other
> variable between the two computers is the NIC driver.

   Which argues for a kernel upgrade if switching from wicd to
network-manager doesn't cure the symptoms.