[PLUG] Distro machine for Linux Clinic

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 17:48:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:18:47 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> dijo:

>I'm now loading Scientific Linux 6.2 (Red Hat Enterprise 6.2
>clone, 2.6.32 kernel) onto an old 120GB SATA drive.  I will
>be testing the USB3 connection with a Seagate 3TB USB3
>external drive ($140 at Costco).  John can connect his
>portable USB drive (containing his distro collection) to it.

I repurposed my portable USB drive for other things at home. I now keep
all the distros on my Thinkpad. They total about 100 GB. I have a 32 GB
USB stick that we can use to transfer, or over the network.

I do have a 200 GB hard drive that I put into my ancient rescued HP
(tenants left it behind). It has Lubuntu on it, with 194 GB free space.
I need to get some of my hairs cut today, and the barbershop is not too
far from Free Geek. I could stop by and pick up another hard drive.
IIRC a 250 GB drive runs about $50. Or maybe something from a <gasp>
retail store? I'll pick up the tab for a bigger hard drive if you think
it would be useful.