[PLUG] Sony Vaio Wireless Connectivity: One Step Closer

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 02:47:44 UTC 2012

> While time is important, it's not so important as to stop a network
> connection.
> Having said that, what might prevent it from being called is lack of
> network.
> No reasong to use the Network Time Protocol without a net.

Maybe I'm mis-interpreting your statement, but this explanation seems
completely at odds with the NTDP actions and log entries:

pr 14 09:38:36 caddis ntpd[1671]: Listen normally on 5 wlan0 10.5.70.151
UDP 123
Apr 14 09:38:36 caddis ntpd[1671]: Listen normally on 6 wlan0
fe80::223:14ff:fe68:98e0 UDP 123
Apr 14 09:38:36 caddis ntpd[1671]: Deleting interface #3 eth0,
192.168.55.2#123, interface stats: received=0, sent=0, dropped=0,
active_time=2101 secs
Apr 14 09:38:36 caddis ntpd[1671]: peers refreshed

Wlan0 is up and has an ip address. Based on the behavior we witnessed on
the Dell, NTPD should be invoked and start  listening start on wlan0 for
NTP packets so that clock sync can be re-established via the wlan0
interface. Which is exactly what we see on the Dell.

Mind you, I was quite surprised that NTPD was responsible for deleting eth0
and hence also the default route associated with it from the route table.
Although, NTPD has permission to do this via WICD, I would've thought the
network manager would perform this action.

The really troubling part here is that these two boxes are running
identical OS versions with default configurations. The only explanation I
can come up with is a permissions problem But again, identical OS versions
w. default configs.