[PLUG] Sony Vaio Wireless Connectivity: One Step Closer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 18 16:09:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Mike Connors wrote:

> Mind you, I was quite surprised that NTPD was responsible for deleting
> eth0 and hence also the default route associated with it from the route
> table. Although, NTPD has permission to do this via WICD, I would've
> thought the network manager would perform this action.

   I just downloaded the code for wicd-1.7.2.1 (the latest release) and
grep'd for ntpd in the source .py files. Nothing found. But, in wnettools.py
are classes for setting up the base, wired, and wireless interfaces. In the
wired interface class are two procedures to see if there's an actual
connection; if there is none the function should return FALSE. I've not
parsed all the code to see what calls wnettools.py to learn what is supposed
to happen if the ethernet connection is not found.

   Anyone willing to work with me on tracing the code to figure out where the
Sony goes off the rails?