[PLUG] Sony Vaio Wireless Connectivity: One Step Closer

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:27:31 UTC 2012

>   I just downloaded the code for wicd-1.7.2.1 (the latest release) and
> grep'd for ntpd in the source .py files. Nothing found. But, in
> wnettools.py
> are classes for setting up the base, wired, and wireless interfaces. In the
> wired interface class are two procedures to see if there's an actual
> connection; if there is none the function should return FALSE. I've not
> parsed all the code to see what calls wnettools.py to learn what is
> supposed
> to happen if the ethernet connection is not found.
>
> Rich - A couple of interesting points to keep in mind.

!. This suggests that the NTPD "listening" entries in the log are due to
the Dell functioning as a time server.

"If you want the computer you run OpenNTPD on to also be a time server,
*simply uncomment and edit the "listen" directive.*"

- I thought it was odd that NTPD was "listening" as opposed to sending NTP
packets out to find a clock source. So those entries suggest at the very
least that on the Dell you have a Time Server configured and maybe not on
the Sony.

2. The other thing we discovered is that NTPD is being called through
DHCLIENT hooks to start and stop NTPD on the Dell. I would verify the
existence and config of the dhclient hook scripts on the Sony.

-"The following example uses /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks to start and stop
openntpd depending on dhcp status:"

[ "$interface" != "eth0" ] && exit 0

if $if_up; then
    pgrep ntpd &> /dev/null || /etc/rc.d/openntpd start
elif $if_down; then
    pgrep ntpd &> /dev/null && /etc/rc.d/openntpd stop
fi

3. Lastly, it could be related to ntpd failing to initialize.

"ntpd may fail to initialize properly if it is started before the network
is fully configured. In some cases you may want to remove openntpd from the
DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.confand add the following line to /etc/rc.local:"

(sleep 300 && /etc/rc.d/openntpd start) &

- Just a few starting points to check.