[PLUG] Progress toward switching the touchpad on and off in Xfce

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:40:01 UTC 2012

Fn F3 is the toggle for the touchpad in Gnome.  In Xfce most of the
function keys work as expected except for Fn F3.  Initially on booting
synclient reports TouchpadOff=1 even though the touchpad is functional.
 Subsequently I can turn it on and off using synclient TouchpadOff=0 and
synclient TouchpadOff=1 respectively, and synclient properly reports the
status thereafter.

In a text console, showkey -s: 0x74 0xf4

xev reports on pressing Fn F3:

KeyPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0xab, subw 0x3000002, time 3489713, (44,47), root:(672,258),
    state 0x0, keycode 199 (keysym 0x1008ffa9, XF86TouchpadToggle),
same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0xab, subw 0x3000002, time 3489713, (44,47), root:(672,258),
    state 0x0, keycode 199 (keysym 0x1008ffa9, XF86TouchpadToggle),
same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I note that this reports the name XF86TouchpadToggle, yet it does nothing
detectable.

I suspect that something has blocked or changed the function.

I wonder if anybody has ideas on what might be broken.  Alternatively a
script could capture the keypress and do the switching.  (I found such a
script on the web.)  I would prefer to fix what is broken just for the
satisfaction.

-Denis