[PLUG] [PLUG-TALK] Ubuntu desktop to stereo receiver

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 23:56:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:28:40 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:05:48 -0700
>Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> wrote:
>
>> So, with this encouragement, I stuck my bluetooth dongle into the usb
>> port on my desktop. KDE popped up a nice bluetooth icon in the system
>> tray which allowed me to pair the headset with dongle.  But still no
>> sounds in my ear when I play an mp3 file.  When I do an aplay -L to
>> see which devices alsa recognizes, my headset is not there.  If being
>> dumb is an advantage this would have worked long ago.  What am I
>> missing? Do I have to restart alsa, reload the modules? It may just
>> be muted, but my alsamixer doesn't show a bluetooth/usb device so?
>>

>This is just a guess, since I've never used a Bluetooth anything, but
>are you running PulseAudio?  If so, what does the PulseAudio Volume
>Control say?  PA may be muting your Bluetooth audio output.

All I can tell you is what worked on Lucid, which uses PulseAudio. In
the GUI I have a little loudspeaker icon in the panel whose main
function is to raise or lower the volume, but when I click on it I see
an option for Sound Preferences. That opens up a dialog box where I
select the Output tab. In that tab I see the bluetooth headphones as
well as the internal audio analog stereo. If I select the headphones
the sound comes out of the headphones. If I select internal analog
stereo the sound comes out of the speakers. Of course, if the bluetooth
headphones are not turned on they do not appear in the dialog box.
Having paired them once all I have to do is turn them on to get them to
appear, although it takes a moment while Lucid and the dongle think
about it.

I know Lucid uses PulseAudio, as there are launchers for various
PulseAudio tools.