[PLUG] Where a program stores temporary files

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 19:41:22 UTC 2012

I use a program called transcribe. It's a python program for playing
back audio files for transcription purposes. The company from which I
get assignments requires that I delete the audio files when I've
finished the work, since the material is usually confidential. I do this
by deleting the audio file from the directory in which I had stored it,
and then deleting it from the Trash folder.

Sometimes this program (transcribe) gets confused. I start playing a new
audio file, and I hear an old one along with the one. I discovered that
when I closed transcribe "yesterday" the program did not completely
quit. I use ps ax | grep transcribe and discover three entries (one of
which is the grep process). So, I shut down the instance of transcribe I
can see, and then use kill to shut down the other instance. Running ps
ax | grep transcribe returns the reference to itself.

My question relates to the audio source for the errant instance of
transcribe.

How do I go about locating that file? Was it even a file, or was it
buffered in memory somewhere, and killing the instance removed it?

This is mostly so I can affirm that I have deleted the audio completely
from my computer.

Thanks for any clues.

--
Regards,