[PLUG] [OT?] Setting up to do repetitive installs on ONE machine (cf BabelBox)

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Wed Aug 8 02:33:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 05:40 -0500, Richard Owlett

> "Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide" (particularly sections
> 4 & 5 and appendix B) give some indication that what I want
> to do is feasible. BabelBox
> {http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox} indicates
> that something quite _similar_ has been done.
>

> Open questions about BabelBox and its suitability for my goals:

Richard,

I don't know BabelBox -- but assume it's some form of automated
installation instructions similar to FAI or Red Hat's Kickstart.

In general, there are excellent reasons to set up a local repo based on
available packages, and I think (it's been a few years) that one step is
copying all Debian disks to a dedicated directory (which then can be
shared via NFS/FTP/HTTP for local apt* installs/updates). You'll need to
set up a database for those updates, I forget the apt* command that sets
it up in some fashion, I gather the latest relates to the repropro
package.

As for the installs -- one option is to just mirror some "gold" minimal
install, once you're satisfied with the config.

I know that Ubuntu was working with Kickstart for some automated
installs -- don't know if that has been ported back to Debian.

Thanks,
Mike