[PLUG] Victor is perplexed over duplex

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Fri Aug 17 16:46:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear PLUG,
>
> I have an HL-2270DW monochrome laser printer on Ubuntu 10.04 hooked up
> to a usb port.  The following indicate the drivers on my system, I
> think...
>
> oem at freekbox:~$ dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
> ii  cupswrapperhl2270dw                           2.0.4-2
>                                          Brother HL2270DW CUPS wrapper driver
> ii  hl2270dwlpr                                   2.1.0-1
>                                          Brother HL-2270DW LPR driver
> ii  openprinting-ppds-postscript-brother          20101122-1lsb3.2
>                                 Manufacturer-supplied PPD files for Brother'
>

> The problem I have is that sometimes I don't want my printer to print
> duplex.  I sometimes want it to print on just one side of the paper.
> Sometimes I use paper that is already printed on one side.  If the
> document that I'm printing has 10 pages to print, then I want the
> printer to print the 10 pages on one side, not duplex.  I reuse paper
> that has a blank page on one side sometimes.  I would not like to
> print 10 separate pages, one at a time, on one side of the page, each
> time.
>
> When I go in a program to print a document I go to File, then
> Print..., then a dialog box comes up entitled "Print".  In this dialog
> box is a tab entitled, "Page Setup".  When I go to the "Page Setup"
> tab, there is a label called, "Two-sided:".  This label is next to a
> drop down box, which has three options, "One Sided", "Long Edge
> (Standard)", and "Short Edge (Flip)"  When I pick "One Sided", my
> printer still prints duplex.  Does "One Sided", not mean what I think
> it means?
>
> When I go to a dialog box entitled, "Printer Properties - 'HL2270DW'
> on localhost", I can go to "Printer Options".  Then I see a label that
> says, "Duplex:"  Next to this label is a drop down box whose choices
> are, "None", "DuplexNoTumble", and "DuplexTumble".  When I choose,
> "None", I still get duplex printing on my printer, when all I want is
> single sided printing.  Does, "None", not mean what I think it means?
>
> Do I have incorrect drivers on my system?  Do I need to configure
> something else.
>
> I have a feeling that the ability to turn off duplex printing is in
> the Windows driver, but not in the linux driver.  Can I somehow use
> wine, and the windows driver, just to be able to turn off the duplex
> printing when I want, and have single sided printing.  How do I go
> about doing that?  Would it somehow interfere with my linux driver?
> Do I use both a windows wine, and linux driver at the same time?
>
> I'll come to the PLUG clinic for help, but maybe someone will already
> know what I need to do.  At least someone will have a heads up if they
> read this email before, presumably, helping me at the clinic.
>
> Sincerely perplexed over duplex,
> Victor Soich

Victor, It looks like a bug in the proprietary driver supplied by
Brother. Maybe their customer service could answer your question.
http://www.brother-usa.com/support/CustServ.aspx

Or you could try the generic pcl driver as described here
http://roysjosh.blogspot.com/2011/05/linux-and-brother-hl-2270dw-printer.html
but it may have the same problem with duplex, since duplex is the
default on that printer.

Bill