[PLUG] Help with Xmodmap

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Fri Aug 17 23:29:15 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Xmodmap.

I have a laptop keyboard which has an Alt_R key but no Control_R key. I
would like the change this Alt key to a Ctrl key.

I think what I'm supposed to do is:

clear Mod1
add Mod1 = Control_R NoSymbol Control_R

in my ~/.Xmodmap file, but when I run xmodmap on this, it returns:

Warning: Only changing the first 15 of 24 buttons.
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
   Value in failed request:  0x17
   Serial number of failed request:  13

If I simply comment out the add line, xmodmap runs without reporting any
errors and the both of my Alt keys no longer do anything.

Is this enough information for someone to give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott