[PLUG] Help with Xmodmap

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sat Aug 18 01:21:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Scott Garman <sgarman at zenlinux.com> wrote:

> I can see how I had my mapping reversed when using the add command, but
> out of curiosity, can you explain why you needed the "= Alt_R" for the
> remove command?

Because that's how it's described in the xmodmap(1) man page?  Remove is
supposed to remove one or more keys associated with a specific modifier, in
your case Mod1:

       remove MODIFIERNAME = KEYSYMNAME ...
               This removes all keys containing the given keysyms from the
indicated modi‐
               fier  map.   Unlike add, the keysym names are evaluated as
the line is read
               in.  This allows you to remove keys from a modifier without
having to worry
               about whether or not they have been reassigned.

"Clear"ing a modifier will clear all keys associated with that modifier,
which removes both Alt_L and Alt_R (and possibly Meta_L if it's mapped to a
physical key):

       clear MODIFIERNAME
               This  removes all entries in the modifier map for the given
modifier, where valid name are: Shift, Lock, Control, Mod1, Mod2, Mod3,
Mod4, and Mod5 (case does
               not matter in modifier names, although it does matter for
all other names).  For example, ``clear Lock'' will remove all any keys
 that  were  bound  to  the
               shift lock modifier.