[PLUG] Victor is perplexed over duplex

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Aug 24 19:44:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:19:59 -0700
> wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:
>

> >> When I tried to change the name of the two printers within the dialog
> >> box , "Printing - localhost", I got another dialog box that popped up
> >> and said, "CUPS server error There was an error during the CUPS
> >> operation: 'client-error-bad-request'. "
> >>

> >As far as I know, CUPS does not allow for changing the name of a
> >printer. You have to add a new one and delete the old one.
>
> I have done so. I have half a dozen "printers" installed for my Xerox
> Phaser 7400DN, each with a different PPD and/or driver. I was able to
> call each one different things. The name works in the dialog box and
> when I use lpr at the command line.
>
> I am pouring concrete today and don't have time to give details. I also
> have other comments re editing the PPD file, but they will have to wait
> until later. Concrete waits for no man.

I know you can do it by editing the config file. For Victor's particular
case, I would suggest going the add/remove route.

I tried on my CUPS interface and the name field is not editable when I
click Modify Printer. That, combined with my experience on Mac and from
Victor's description of what he's doing, tells me CUPS really doesn't want
us renaming things.

-wes