[PLUG] Victor is perplexed over duplex

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 14:35:09 UTC 2012

>PPD files are plain text documents of only a couple pages. It is
>trivial to edit a PPD file. However, knowing *how* to edit the PPD file
>is not so trivial. You need to understand the syntax. In Victor's case,
>however, the only syntax knowledge required is the language for the
>simplex-duplex options. The syntax for PPD files is doubtless
>documented somewhere on the net (Adobe would be a likely guess), but
>you could also just open a lot of PPD files and read through them until
>you find the right lines.

It's  morning and I'm back among the living.

Here is a link to a PDF from Adobe for the syntax of PPD files:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5003.PPD_Spec_v4.3.pdf

The above document also contains a couple sample PPD files. There are
also hundreds of PPD files on Adobe's website. Here is a link to
download all of them as a single compressed file:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=204

I would suggest downloading all of them from the link above and then
open a few in Gedit. Select PPD files for printers that are similar,
even older or newer models of the same printer that you have. There may
even be one for your exact model. If so, open it and the one you
already downloaded and compare them.