[PLUG] Can't Receive Mail

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sat Dec 1 18:26:48 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

I'm setting up a new CentOS 64-bit machine and have nearly got mail
working, except I can't send mail to myself from outside the LAN it's
on. When I try I get this error message:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.1.1
<bthoen at visualfarms.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
virtual alias table. Please check the message recipient
bthoen at visualfarms.com and try again."

I can send mail from that address, no problem. I'm using the latest
Dovecot and Postfix. I've tried setting an alias in etc/aliases like so:
bthoen: bthoen at visualfarms.com

and pointing local_recipient_maps in main.cf at it. I also tried leaving
that empty. Also did 'service postfix restart' and 'service dovecot
restart' whenever I disturbed  their config files.

The log says that dovecot connects and disconnects OK, but I'm so new to
this end of the business that I probably don't see half of what I should
notice. Here's the last few log entries as I tried to login via Thunderbird:

Dec  1 10:16:02 oneimage dovecot: IMAP(bthoen): Disconnected: Logged out
Dec  1 10:51:48 oneimage dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<bthoen>,
method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:72.251.11.78, lip=::ffff:192.231.196.244, TLS
Dec  1 10:51:48 oneimage dovecot: IMAP(bthoen): Effective uid=500,
gid=500, home=/home/bthoen
Dec  1 10:51:48 oneimage dovecot: IMAP(bthoen): maildir:
data=/home/bthoen/Maildir
Dec  1 10:51:48 oneimage dovecot: IMAP(bthoen): maildir:
root=/home/bthoen/Maildir, index=/home/bthoen/Maildir, control=, inbox=

I've read lots of article on Dovecot, Postfix and related from Googlets
-- not understanding a lot of it. And I don't know what would be
relevant to display here for help. This is probably dead simple to an
experienced sysadmin, but my experienced SA got a real job in another
state and is no longer as free to freelance as before. So I have to
learn enough to make this work in the short term, and hopefully more
will sink in in the long run.

Any help, references to articles, or requests for some information to
diagnose what's wrong would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Bill Thoen
--
*Bill Thoen*