[PLUG] Ubuntu: Testing Wired Network Connectivity

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:04:58 UTC 2012

On 12/01/2012 09:31 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     I installed ubuntu-12.10 on a Toshiba Satellite portable which is to be
> sent to someone across the country. Wireless networking has always worked on
> this host, but wired networking did not. I need to test the wired networking
> before it's packaged and shipped and would like assistance from a ubuntu
> expert.
>
>     It's a full, vanilla installation; I just let it do its own thing. Ergo,
> no network setup with a host name or static IP address. I don't run a DHCP
> server here since there are only a handful of hosts and static IP addresses
> have worked just fine for many years.
>
>     This ubuntu seems very Microsoft-ish; there is a row of icons on the left
> side and I have not found how to open a terminal window to try to figure out
> what's not working. Sigh.
>
>     Can wired networking be tested without my setting up a dhcp server
> locally?
>
>     How can I find a virtual console on this host? With the xubuntu it
> replaced there was no problem with having everything hidden, but this
> stymies me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

For a terminal, top left of icon row, click Ubuntu symbol at the top.
you should get a window (translucent) at the top left.  This is for apps
access. There should be a search bar.  Type "terminal" and select as
appropriate.  You'll need to use "sudo" as in  "sudo /sbin/lspci" and
"sudo /sbin/lsmod" to check for hardware and modules.  Same goes for
ifconfig.

On the upper right, on the task bar, you should see an icon  (greyed
up/down arrow or wifi radio symbol if that is running).  It is the same
network manager that ships with Slackware 14.  left (or right?) click -
edit connections.  And so forth.  You should be able to set up a static
IP just to make sure the wired connection and driver are working.  Of
course, if the wired ethernet port driver is not loaded you will have to
find one in Ubuntu repos or wherever.

Also, since you are a slack guy IIRC, you can run the virtual guided
tour here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/#

Might help figure out Unity desktop without having to damage you
install. I gotta say, I am not crazy about Unity.  You've taxed what
little knowledge I have about it.

-Ed