[PLUG] Testing Wired Network Connectivity

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:46:28 UTC 2012

 On Dec 1, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Mike C. <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. Run the command  "ping 127.0.0.1" from the command line while not
> > connected to any networks. This will test the NIC, the NIC drivers and
> the
> > tcp/.ip stack.
>
> Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that no NIC is
> required to have a loopback (127.x.x.x) network interface. It's a software
> only interface. The only thing that will test is the tcp/ip stack.
>
> Russell Johnson
> russ at dimstar.net

No, I'm not. I can find a definitive answer nor can I confirm nor deny with
my own testing. When I stopped the networking sevice, only the lo interface
was visible with ifconfig and it responded with a ping. When I unloaded the
NIC drive via modprobe -r, both eth0 and lo were visible via ifconfig and
lo responded to a ping.

So, I'll restate my testing procedure.

1. Run the command "lspci | grep Network" to verify the Ethernet controller
is seen by the pci bus and get info on it.

lspci | grep Network
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 03)

2. dmesg | grep Network
[    1.304272] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 1.5.1-k
[    1.618525] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
Connection