[PLUG] On teaching geeks to write

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Wed Dec 5 12:40:21 UTC 2012

John Meissen wrote:
>> I need an example more current than the hole I dug myself
>> into some 40+ years ago when I, as an engineering co-op,
>> wrote a production test procedure which depended more on my
>> experience with a color TV with a CTC-2 chassis than I
>> realized. Anybody here old enough to recognize my error when
>> I said to center a spot on a CRT by rotating a magnet on its
>> neck.???
>>
>> i hope there is someone out there doing a ROFL
>>

> I don't recognize the error, but I remember the centering magnets. :-)

I had written "rotate magnet to center trace". The tech who
was testing my procedure came back with the complaint that
the trace would just move around, not to, the center. He had
a few more years total experience than I but had never
worked on TV's.

I had never mentioned that the relative position of the
"ears" could be adjusted. "Everyone" knew that ;/