[PLUG] A PLUG Code of Conduct

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 21:43:38 UTC 2012

> [...]
> proved to be the most powerful solution.
>
> Oblig xkcd:
> http://xkcd.com/386/
>
> -Ronabop
>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:
>>
>>  While I think it is OK for anyone to publish a list of suggested guide
>>> lines such as the good list below, I am opposed to any sort of conduct
>>> police. To avoid another round of stuff similar to 2011-10, that is all
>>> I'll say.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> Threads spin out of control all the time -- usually going off-topic, but
>> occasionally going off-color -- but deleting threads is about the easiest
>> thing to do in a decent e-mail client.
>>
>> Once the sociopath and his overly earnest (or perhaps likewise
>> sociopathic) correspondent realize the room is empty of spectators, they
>> go
>> home.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Heinlein
>> heinlein at madboa.com
>> 45?38' N, 122?6' W
>>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 11:49:45 -0800
> From: King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Proposal: A PLUG Code of Conduct
> To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
>
> On 12/07/2012 10:49 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:
>>
>>> While I think it is OK for anyone to publish a list of suggested
>>> guide lines such as the good list below, I am opposed to any sort of
>>> conduct police. To avoid another round of stuff similar to 2011-10,
>>> that is all I'll say.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Threads spin out of control all the time -- usually going off-topic,
>> but occasionally going off-color -- but deleting threads is about the
>> easiest thing to do in a decent e-mail client.
>>
>> Once the sociopath and his overly earnest (or perhaps likewise
>> sociopathic) correspondent realize the room is empty of spectators,
>> they go home.
>>

> +1
>
> I concur.  While I wasn'ton this list during the period in question,
> Flame wars pop up all the time online, whether on USENET, IRC, webforums
> or mail lists., etc. They can often be amusing. Amusing, or not,
> deleting/blocking the offending parties is easy enough. "Don't feed the
> troll."  A "morality police" is not needed.  After all, its all just
> words:  "Stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt
> me."  I sometimes think we are getting too sensitive as a culture when
> we take offense and wish to prosecute what we have termed "verbal abuse"
> as though we were physically injured in the attack. Although this may be
> valid in person, when online, insulting language and "screaming" in all
> CAPS is easily ignored as it just does not have the same impact.

I agree with all of the sentiments above with the exception of " I
would like to explore strategies for a simple policy that has the
hooks, however simple, to the summoning of law
enforcement if necessary."

I think it's fine to publish a code of conduct and encourage people to
conduct themselves in  ways of communication that are non-violent,
non-abusive, collaborative, helpful and serve to foster community.

Should a situation arise where there is a threat of physical violence
then it is up to the individual to do what they feel is appropriate
for their own well-being and safety. That could range from removing
oneself from the email list, deleting/blocking emails, consulting with
admins or long term list users in attempt to mediate or to act as
witness, and contacting the authorities on your own behalf.