[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Screen Freeze

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Dec 20 01:30:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:37:01 -0800
Chaz Sliger <chaz at bctonline.com> wrote:

> Anybody experience occasional screen freezes?
> The only way I've been able to get the system to respond again is to
> hit the interrupt button.
> Not sure whether it stops listening to the keyboard/mouse or freezes
> the output image.
> Is it possible this is a motherboard problem?
> ~chaz

There are a lot of things this could be.  You'll have to provide
more information.

*  Does the clock keep ticking over, or has it frozen?
*  I assume from your post that the mouse doesn't move.  Or can it?
*  Can you use <ctrl><alt>F3 to get a text VT?
*  Are there any errors in your system logs?
*  Try running a long Memtest on your ram.  (Give it at LEAST 24
   hours, preferably more.)
*  For that matter, have you cleaned out your computer case?  It's
   surprising what a load of dust can do.
*  Along those same lines, make sure all your cables are firmly
   seated.
*  You could have a corrupt kernel image.  Try booting a different
   kernel and see whether it freezes.
*  Is there a common set of circumstances for when this happens?
   E.g., are you running a particular (set of) program(s)?

If you do get into your computer case, be sure to observe static
safety precautions.  ESD (electrostatic discharge) damage can
cause all manner of weird, intermittent, "phase of the moon"-type
errors that are *very* hard to track down.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Maybe someone
else can come up with more.

--Dale

--
Ivanova:  Always finding the good in any situation, eh Captain?
Sheridan:  Absolutely.  If I didn't, I might end up like you.