[PLUG] Linus is mad at a kernel maintainer

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Sat Dec 29 17:53:30 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-29 at 10:02 -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
> On 28-Dec-12 8:27 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
> > On 12/28/2012 08:03 AM, MJang wrote:
snip

> >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1414106
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike
> > Reading this thread, I think many of you are confused. Perhaps looking
> > the whole thread will give a better picture.
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1413835/focus=1414106

snip

> Team members will put up with this style of management only as long as
> they believe that the leader can walk on water and that the social value
> of being on the elite team remains high.

I gather from a couple of other sources that the style depicted in the
thread (as a whole) is normal on the kernel list, and has worked now for
over 20 years.

It's certainly not a style associated with corporate America, or local
dot-com startups. It certainly came as a surprise to me, even after
reading the Tannebaum-Torvalds debate (where Andy Tannebaum in '92 said
that "LINUX is obsolete"), ref
http://oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html
(I thought Linus would have mellowed with age.)

It suggests that people who want to "help" maintain the kernel need a
pretty thick skin. I suspect this "style" will continue as long as there
are many qualified developers ready to take their place in the kernel
elite.

Thanks,
Mike