[PLUG] Linus is mad at a kernel maintainer

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sat Dec 29 19:14:40 UTC 2012

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Bill Thoen wrote:

> if they don't like the BDFL and can't directly challenge him
> successfully, then they are free to go elsewhere. If the BDFL starts
> to lose it, or wants to retire or goes over the rainbow, what
> happens?

The history of gcc is illustrative.

The 1997 egcs fork ran an end-around on gcc and became the main branch
a couple years later. The mainline team had stalled, so it was
demoted (so to speak).

Currently, LLVM and GCC are competing for mindshare, the former
offering analytics not available in the latter.

I suspect that if Linus "goes over the rainbow," and Linux starts to
become irrelevent, similar things will happen.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W