[PLUG] Preparing for DSL DHCP IP Address

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 2 23:21:01 UTC 2012

   I want to write a shell script to run as a cron job that checks the
Frontier-assigned IP address of my DSL line against the current IP address
and, if changed, uploads the changed address to namecheap.com's DNS servers.

   I can see the address (at least while it's static) on my Netgear VFS318,
but there's not a specific URL for that field on the admin web page. There
are a bunch of web-based lookup sites; while they immediately display my IP
address I don't see a way to extract that information from the web page
(perhaps in the page source code?) for local storage and upload to
namecheap.com.

   Many of you folks are professional network administrators and may already
have such a script. Or, you can advise me how to proceed.