[PLUG] Preparing for DSL DHCP IP Address

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 20:29:50 UTC 2012

> > Be sure to pay attention to WhatIsMyIP's usage policy (spelled out in the
> > FAQ). In essence, try not to hit that link more than once every 5
> > minutes, less often if possible.
>
> Jim,
>
>   Since the IP address _should_ be relatively stable, I doubt that I need
> run the cron job more than once per hour.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

To make it lil' easier on WhatIsMyIP, you could run a ping test for a few
days, weeks to figure out the DHCP lease time. Really, unless they change
something on their end or there's a loss of IP connectivity between you and
your service provider your current leased ip addr should continue to be
renewed.

Perhaps, the most efficient way to do this is incorporate a ping test into
your script. When the ping fails for a given amount of time say 5 or 10
mins, then run the curl whatsmyipaddress command, compare it against your
last known ip addr and then update DNS.