[PLUG] LDAP authentication process sanity check - resolved

Michael R michael at jamhome.us
Thu Feb 9 18:16:04 UTC 2012

Richard England wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 08:18 AM, Michael R
wrote:

>> When a client app uses LDAP
for authentication . . .

>> Must it

request user attributes (for example email addr / mail ) from the server?
>>    or
>> Does the server push those attributes?
>>
>> My sniffing
>> says if you asked for
authentication all you get is a result code showing
>> success or
failure.  But in the context of what we've done I cannot yet

rule out some caching of information by the application.

>> So
>> which is it?

I'm not an expert but I've worked on authentication via LDAP for

Subversion. It is my understanding that all you get, by default, is

confirmation of authentication. You have to request any further
information.

Employer internal subject matter expert replies that
the client must specifically request attributes it wants values for.

--
     Michael Rasmussen
   http://www.jamhome.us/

Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity