[PLUG] System Sees only Half Installed RAM

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 23:41:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I successfully upgraded the BIOS on my Dell Latitude E5410 from version
> A03 to A11. With this newest version the system is supposed to recognize and
> use all 8G of installed memory. But, it still sees only 4G.

By "the system" do you mean the bios, or the OS (Linux, presumably?)?

If it's the former, then there may be a hardware problem, if it's the
later, then you probably just need to install a different kernel.

In my experience, the SMP kernels shipped with common distros also
have the proper support for seeing > 4gb of ram, but others on this
list know the details much better than I do.

--Rogan