[PLUG] Anyone: ddclient & namecheap.com?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 13 14:40:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I read the namecheap knowledge base and _think_ I have it correct, but
> I'm not sure. Specifically, do I need both domain name and namecheap login
> name if I have more than one domain registered with them?

   Yesterday evening, just before Frontier changed my IP address for the
second time that day, someone here posted a response that IP addresses don't
change unless the DSL bridge or router go off-line. I accidently deleted
that message, but will respond now.

   Other than a middle-of-the-night power outage a few weeks ago that
darkened the entire neighborhood, there have been no incidents that have
taken the DSL bridge or router off-line in several years. Last evening, I
was sitting here working on this host when I checked alpine at 7:00pm and
saw the mail from the hourly cron job that showed the old IP address as
ending in .248 and the new one ending in .110. No power changes to explain
why it changed.

   I may be the only one being hassled by Frontier this way, but it's not
because I'm doing something wrong here.

   Now I believe that I have the DNS servers properly configured for the MX
records on both domains and need to wait for Frontier's next change to see
if the cron job script successfully changes the IP addresses for both
domains.