[PLUG] Anyone: ddclient & namecheap.com?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 13 22:51:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, John Meissen wrote:

> Is this still the fallout from SpiritOne dropping support for fixed IP
> addresses? If so, I would expect this is an issue with SpiritOne, not
> Frontier. I don't think Frontier necessarily needs to be blamed for what's
> probably a configuration issue at SpiritOne.

John,

   Actually, it's the fallout from Frontier dropping support of fixed IP
addresses and SpiritOne's routers not accommodating the change. At least,
that's what they tell us. DSL-only is not affected by Frontier's changes.

> It's possible that they configured the DHCP server with unrealistic lease
> times. It's also possible that your router isn't requesting the same IP
> address when it tries to renew the lease.

   I know of one other Aracnet/SpiritOne customer with the same issues as I
have on frequent IP address changes, and one who has seen no such changes
since the switch last Tuesday. So, milage varies with driver.

> If it's SpiritOne you should call them and see if they can help. While I'm
> disappointed by their change in policy they've always been proactive in
> helping with issues like this - that's one of the reasons I stayed with
> DSL/SpiritOne long after Fios became available in my neighborhood.

   What I've been told by Aracnet/SpiritOne is that they would have preferred
retaining static IP addresses for those of us with them. I get the
impression that it's a hardware/router software issue, but I neither know
what it could be nor care to know.

   If the simple script Bill Barry provided updates the DNS servers every
time Frontier changes out IP address I really don't care how often this
occurs. It was usefull to know the static IP address because too many hotel
servers (running Microsoft, of course, and maintained by those of
questionable skills) cannot resolve the IP address when I enter 'ssh
appl-ecosys.com'. Yet all of these worked flawlessly when I entered 'ssh
216.99.206.23'. Now, of course, I cannot determine the IP address unless I'm
able to get it via a Web browser first.