[PLUG] Manually stop a shell script

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 20:16:38 UTC 2012

I run rdiff-backup from a simple shell script with an external text
file of excluded folders. Even if I haven't run it for a long time it
never takes more than 2-3 hours to do everything. That is, it backs up
200 GB of data on the laptop hard disk to a 500 GB hard disk in the
Ultrabay (where the CD drive normally lives).

I want to terminate the backup from the command line, but I have no
idea what command to use. Quit? Exit? Stop? Halt? Stop-already? I could
just eject the destination media, but I'd rather stop the backup as
gracefully as possible.

Of course, after I stop the script, I want to inspect the destination
media to see what it actually did, then probably restart the backup.
When I do so I would like to add a -verbose switch into the script so I
can better see what it's doing. But I don't want to see everything, just
main events. The rdiff-backup man page is not helping me here.

Also, there is are a couple of error messages generated at 1:30 am
today that say the same thing, e.g.:

SpecialFileError dev/log Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

And here is the script:

#!/bin/bash
sudo rdiff-backup
--include-globbing-filelist /home/jjj/rdiff_excludes.txt / /media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora
	2> /home/jjj/rdiff-errors.txt
sudo rdiff-backup
--list-increment-sizes /media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora
	> /home/jjj/rdiff-stats.txt

Suggestions?