[PLUG] HELP! Thinkpad hangs at BIOS

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 21:28:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:07:29 -0800
Rick <rdoyle16+plug at gmail.com> dijo:

>Have you tried transferring one of the VM's to another computer
>running a compatible (or same) VM "manager" (VirtualBox, etc.)?
>
>This would potentially serve 2 purposes:
>1) Verify that the VM itself is not the problem - more precisely, it
>would act as a data point to help you draw conclusions/narrow down
>where the problem may exist (it wouldn't necessary rule anything 100%
>"out", or "in"). 2) Give you a way of using/accessing your critical
>apps/data while you work to get things working as desired again.
>
>Also... you might want to build a quick-and-dirty NEW VM (from standard
>install media/iso)... just as another data point in isolating the
>problem.

Good ideas. I have Virtualbox on my desktop (Lucid, x86_64). The VMs
are about 9 GB, so it wouldn't be too much trouble to copy them to the
desktop.

However, it seems doubtful that the problem is in the VM because there
are two of them (Windows 2000 and Windows XP), and I get the same
lockup with both.

But still good ideas.