[PLUG] what does &(...) do?

Bill Morita wamorita at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 01:42:16 UTC 2012

Mike

Hello from Alaska

Given the ((...)),
the dot-dot-dot represents an algebraic type math expression.
Remove quotes in expressions below.
Normally you can't have an expression in bash of the sort "a*5%3" (e.g. a
times 5 modulo 3).
An alternate form is "let b=a/3"
Look for "let" under Bash built-ins in the referenced Bash manual.
This lets you not have to use "expr" for computations.

--
-- Bill Morita