[PLUG] what does &(...) do?

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 05:34:41 UTC 2012

# from Michael Rasmussen
# on Thursday 16 February 2012 05:38:

>I know what & does in the general sense, and I suspect that &(...)
> forks off some processes from within a script.

Not exactly.  If I'm reading correctly, there is not any special
construct '&(...)' -- it just backgrounds the commands before the & and
runs a subshell of the () part.  It's the same thing as '& (...)'
c.f. '; (...)', which seems not as interesting as '$(...)', '<(...)',
or '>(...)' I think.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Command-Grouping
  http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Shell-Expansions

I did run across coproc while reading though and now need to find a
chance to use that.

--Eric
--
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
--The Napoleon-Clarke Law