[PLUG] Fwd: Linux Version envy?

Robert Miesen robert.miesen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:15:58 UTC 2012

Hi PLUGers.

I was doing some routine maintenance on my Debian box and I noticed that
the Linux kernel is now up to version 3.2---and version 3.0 was released
less than 6 months ago. Has there been a fundamental shift in the
nomenclature of the kernel version numbers? Previously, all even numbered
minor releases were stable releases while all odd-numbered minor releases
were development / bleeding-edge releases. But now a kernel version 3.1 is
marked as being *stable* on http://www.kernel.org! If there has been a
change in the version numbering scheme,  could someone bring me up to speed
on what the new version numbering scheme is?

Thanks in advance for your help!