[PLUG] Asterisk In cfdisk

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Feb 21 22:14:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Dale Snell wrote:

> According to the cfdisk(8) man page, the asterisk means that the partition
> is not aligned on a cylinder boundary.  I'm not sure that's really
> important these days.  If you need a DOS partition, perhaps, but Linux
> doesn't care.

Dale,

   Yes, I saw this.

> This shouldn't be related to the partition alignment at all.  Other than
> that, I'm not sure what to say.  What do you mean by "quick format"?

   Slackware allows a quick format that does not check for bad blocks. When I
specify that for sda1 mounted on /, control returns immediately. When I
specify that for sda3 mounted on /home, there's the usualy delay as the fs
is installed on the partition.

   Think I need to check for bad blocks on sda1 because I get the error of
insufficient disk space on sda1 and that should not be the case.

Thanks,