[PLUG] Asterisk In cfdisk

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Feb 22 00:17:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:06:37 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    It's a 2.5" portable drive. What I suspect is that the original
> win7 did something funky to the beginning of the hard drive that
> xubuntu ignored when I installed that but which catches slackware.
> I'm re-installing xubuntu (or, at least, running it without
> installation) to see if I can identify what happened to the hard
> drive.

Ah, okay, I didn't realize this was for your laptop.  Yeah,
Windows can do some odd things, sometimes.  But if you've
re-written the partition table that shouldn't be a problem.  It
sounds to me like something created a really small filesystem in
sda1, rather than the full 300 Gig partition.  Why this would
happen, I don't know -- I'm just guessing, here.

BTW, you might want to invest in one of those little 2.5" hard
drive enclosures that hook up to USB.  That way you could check
the drive from your regular system, without having to open it up.
:-)  I highly recommend them, especially if you've got a laptop.

They aren't terribly expensive, given that there's no hard drive
included.  And they're really quite handy for external storage.
(For instance, I keep my music collection on one.)  Granted, USB
isn't terribly fast, but you wouldn't be using it for main mass
storage anyway.  And, depending on the drive that you use, you can
actually power it directly off of the USB, without needing an
external power supply.

--Dale

--
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree
But only if the NFL to a franchise would agree.