[PLUG] Asterisk In cfdisk

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 22 00:28:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Dale Snell wrote:

> Ah, okay, I didn't realize this was for your laptop.  Yeah, Windows can do
> some odd things, sometimes.  But if you've re-written the partition table
> that shouldn't be a problem.  It sounds to me like something created a
> really small filesystem in sda1, rather than the full 300 Gig partition.
> Why this would happen, I don't know -- I'm just guessing, here.

Dale,

   I think you've made a very good guess.

> BTW, you might want to invest in one of those little 2.5" hard drive
> enclosures that hook up to USB.  That way you could check the drive from
> your regular system, without having to open it up.
> :-)  I highly recommend them, especially if you've got a laptop.

   I have a unit that lets me attach 3.5", 2.5" and SATA drives to a USB
port. But, I ain't gonna' take apart the new laptop.

   For the past 3/4-hour the laptop's been formatting sda1 checking for bad
blocks. I re-partitioned it so sda1 (/) is 200G at ext3, sda2 (swap) is
100M, and sda3 (/home) is 299G of ext3. I'm sure the latter will run
overnight. :-)

   As long as sda1 is formatted and ext3 is put on it I am confident that
there will be sufficient room for the OS. I switched from Red Hat to
Slackware in 2003 and this is the first time I've had a new drive tell me
there's insufficient space to load the OS.

Thanks,